compiler version

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Sat Dec 13 07:29:58 PST 2003

* Dave Leimbach (leimySPAM2k at xxxxxxx) wrote:
> So it seems that many C++ projects would be greatly helped by a newer C++
> compiler on DragonFly than version 2.95.4 of gcc.  3.4 is around the corner
> hopefully and contains a newly hand written recursive descent parser.
>
> That may be a bit adventerous for some.  Perhaps 3.3.2 would suffice?

Install the gcc3 port. When we get the new VFS stuff, switching
'default' compilers will be a breeze. I believe the ports system
already has some gunk in there fo facilitate port compiles with
the gcc 3 compiler. There is a knob for make.conf, IIRC.

> That is unless the code generation and compilation speeds are deemed
> inappropriate for DragonFly usage.
>
> I have a bunch of simple C++ examples that just don't work on the default
> DragonFly compiler.  Most of which involve use of the STL and such.

> Also I can't get arts from KDE to compile properly from its KDE CVS at this
> time though that may be due to some KDE developement going on.

The KDE situation is being worked on. On a related note, asmodai will
probably want to get the TenDRA compiler working with building kernels
and world, since he's the main TenDRA guy that frequents here :)

Also, I think TenDRA would be a better fit for DragonFly licensewise. A
BSD system with a BSD licensed compiler would be a very cool thing to
have, now wouldn't it?

Cheers,
Emiel