Getting pkg update/upgrade to work

Chris Cowan chris.o.cowan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 12:11:45 PDT 2024

Reading through the mailing list I saw the references to this message
(which I was getting in spades)

Unable to update repository ....
Error updating repositories

Saw a post from April this year recommending:
   https://pkg.dragonflybsd.org/pkg/${ABI}/LATEST

I ran "pkg --debug update >& ~/pkgu.log" and saw this message from curl

SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

Doing the trusty "openssl version -d".   I get back /etc/ssl, but then I
noticed that there's two versions of openssl installed.
/usr/bin/openssl and /usr/local/bin/openssl.   I chose the latter because
curl is in /usr/local/bin

Checking the issuers they all seem to be LetsEncrypt.

I downloaded  a copy of the Mozilla Certificate store.    After
experimenting it seems to need to be placed in /etc/ssl  (even though curl
was compiled into /usr/local).

Once I made this change, everything was working, as expected.   I didn't
back the pkg.dragonblybsd.org URL out of dl-latest.conf.

--
Chris Cowan