Laptop keyboard does not work

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Sat Apr 20 22:15:00 PDT 2024

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 07:15:17AM +0300, Martin Ivanov wrote:
> Hello, Michael,
> thank you very much for your reply. Sorry for not replying to you earlier.
> Actuall, yesterday we solved the problem in the irc chat. Pierre-Alain
> TORET (daftaupe) told me to set kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=3. I now have this
> added to /etc/sysctl.conf and my laptop keyboard works. No need for an
> external USB keyboard any more.

Glad to hear!

> I am not sure if trying the master branch would make this configuration
> unnecessary? So far everything works all right, I finally have a fully
> working DragonflyBSD XFCE desktop.

With the next version of DragonFly, the default will be
kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12.

To explain, the rcpt_mask is a bit pattern:

* 1: Enable Sysmouse protocol (psm via moused)
* 2: Kbdmux (keyboard multiplexer)
* 4: Hardware mouse (psm directly via evdev)
* 8: Hardware keyboard (atkbd directly via evdev)

So a value of 12 ("4 bit-or 8") means, that only the evdev events from
the Hardware mouse and Hardware keyboard are passed through.

The value 3 ("1 bit-or 2") means, you use sysmouse protocol and kbdmux.

Another "common" value would be 6 ("2 bit-or 4"), which uses the
keyboard multiplexer with the hardware mouse.

Keep in mind that when you upgrade to the next version, you might have
to tweak the rcpt_mask value and maybe your Xorg conf.

Regards,

  Michael

--
Michael Neumann