Pkg update breaks the system

Martin Ivanov marto1980 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 21:17:12 PDT 2024

Hello,
I installed the latest dragonfly release version. All went well until I
tried to install some packages with pkg. pkg told me that it had to update
itself first from version 1.14.4 to 1.20.9. On doing that it said:

pkg: Failed to execute lua script: [string "-- args:
etc/pkg.conf.sample..."]: 12: attempt to call a nil value (field 'stat')
pkg: lua script failed
Updating Avalon repository catalogue...
pkg: An error occurred while fetching package
repository Avalon has no meta file, using default settings.

On seeing that , I went to /usr/local/etc and copied pkg.conf.sample to
pkg.conf. Then I ran pkg update again and I got:

Updating Avalon repository catalogue...
pkg: An error occurred while fetching package
repository Avalon has no meta file, using default settings

I saw a similar thread here where the solution was to go to
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos and copy df-latest.conf.sample to df-latest.conf.
Unfortunately doing that made no difference for me.

I saw the Internet is full of posts about this problem with the freebsd
pkg. Unfortunately the solutions there are freebsd specific. Anyway it
seems that the 1.20.9 version of pkg is broken.

Is there a way out of this?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Martin