UEFI console font strangeness

Christoph Harder shadowomf at arcor.de
Sat Jul 8 12:22:28 PDT 2023

Hello,

I'm currently trying to install Dragonfly BSD on a Biostar A68N-2100K, however I'm having problem with the font rendering .
To be more precise the font in the console is cut in half and only the upper half of the screen is refreshed/updated but with 25 half lines. I hope you can guess what I try to describe.

The Mainboard does offer two option to boot, UEFI and BBS, so the usb stick I'm booting/installing from is listed twice in the boot options, as "somethin-something UEFI" and as "something-something".
I guess it's some kind of compatibility mode that the board tries to provide.
Anyway when I boot from the usb stick without the UEFI-Option ("something-something") the fonts in the console and setup are rendered as usual.
However when I select the boot option with the UEFI-Option ("somethin-something UEFI") the fonts are cut in half and the screen is updated incorrectly.

Now I could use the option without the UEFI and it would probably work, however I've had problems getting the board to always choose this option.
It does seem to prefer the UEFI-Option and I havent got it to work reliably by selecting the non UEFI-Option as first boot option.

Has anyone ever had such problems with configuring a UEFI board and can maybe give me some hints what I might be doing wrong?

Best regards,
Christoph