How easy/hard are updates/upgrades?

Christoph Harder shadowomf at arcor.de
Sun Jan 22 12:05:23 PST 2023

Hi Seann,

good to know, that you're also using boxes made by them, maybe you can help me a bit more?

To run the installer I added
	sio0.flags=0x10
	sio0.baud=115200
	set boot_serial="YES"
	console=comconsole
	set comconsole_speed=115200
to the loader.conf of the usb stick I used to install.

To prevent constant output of messages like
	Jan 22 18:14:26 getty[2228]: open /dev/ttyv4: No such file or directory
	Jan 22 18:14:26 getty[2229]: open /dev/ttyv5: No such file or directory
	Jan 22 18:14:26 getty[2231]: open /dev/ttyv4: No such file or directory
	Jan 22 18:14:26 getty[2232]: open /dev/ttyv5: No such file or directory
	Jan 22 18:14:26 init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv5, sleeping 30 secs
	Jan 22 18:14:26 getty[2233]: open /dev/ttyv4: No such file or directory
	Jan 22 18:14:26 init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv4, sleeping 30 secs
I've edited /etc/ttys and disabled the virtual consoles.

However even after completing the setup, I'm not able to boot from the SSD.
I suspect I might need to change the settigs regarding loader.conf and /etc/ttys on the SSD, since I'm not sure that the installer will copy the settings to the SSD.

When I try to start the live image and mount the file system from the SSD I do get various failures.
Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?
	root@:/dev # mount_hammer2 /dev/da0s1 /mnt
	hammer2_mount: devstr="/dev/da0s1 at DATA"
	hammer2_mount: device="/dev/da0s1" label="DATA" rdonly=0
	hammer2_ondisk: /dev/da0s1 #0: bad magic
	hammer2_ondisk: /dev/da0s1 #1: bad magic
	hammer2_ondisk: /dev/da0s1 #2: bad magic
	hammer2_ondisk: /dev/da0s1 #3: bad magic
	hammer2_ondisk: /dev/da0s1 has no valid volume headers
	hammer2_ondisk: failed to read /dev/da0s1's volume header
	mount: Invalid argument

I also managed to crash the system by accidentially entering /da0s1 instead of /dev/da0s1:
	root@:/dev # mount_hammer2 /da0s1 /mnt
	hammer2_mount: devstr="/da0s1 at DATA"
	hammer2_mount: device="/da0s1" label="DATA" rdonly=0
	panic: assertion "strncmp(path, "/dev/", 5) == 0" failed in hammer2_init_devvp 7
	cpuid = 3
	Trace beginning at frame 0xfffff801179f2c18
	hammer2_init_devvp() at hammer2_init_devvp+0x48b 0xffffffff8098589b
	hammer2_init_devvp() at hammer2_init_devvp+0x48b 0xffffffff8098589b
	hammer2_vfs_mount() at hammer2_vfs_mount+0x379 0xffffffff8096a4d9
	sys_mount() at sys_mount+0x33b 0xffffffff80702d7b
	syscall2() at syscall2+0x11e 0xffffffff80bdc0ae
	Debugger("panic")
	CPU3 stopping CPUs: 0x00000007
	 stopped
	Stopped at      Debugger+0x7c:  movb    $0,0xbcbd09(%rip)
	db>

Do you know if it is even necessary to change the console settings on the SSD in an additional step?

Best regards,
Christoph Harder