How easy/hard are updates/upgrades?

Seann Aswell seann at seannaswell.com
Sat Jan 21 22:46:01 PST 2023

I too have had 'freebsd-update fetch upgrade' result in issues, so while
FreeBSD's binary update process is easy, it isn't bulletproof.

I personally don't recall ever having an issue with DragonFly's source
updating process, but keep in mind that compiling source is required, so
on resource constrained systems it can take quite a while.

Having been responsible for supporting various systems remotely in the
past, your concern is completely understandable. Once you go thru the
process a few times, you will gain confidence in updating remotely, as
long as you have a backup snapshot of the OS and someone is onsite in
case there are issues.

FYI- A few resources about updating constrained systems:
https://marc.info/?l=dragonfly-users&m=149234716521744&w=2
https://umbriel.fr/blog/Upgrading_DragonFly_BSD_hosts_with_a_central_build_server.html

The other advantage of updating from a central source is that you can
test with a non-critical machine, and be pretty confident it will work
on others.