radeon driver woes

Pierre-Alain TORET pierre-alain.toret at protonmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:18:31 PST 2023

Hi again,

------- Original Message -------
Le mardi 10 janvier 2023 à 15:57, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I have a Radeon HD6450 card (Caicos)
>
> I'd like it to load and give me some higher res console like in FreeBSD, but I can't figure it out.
>
> I've dug around in the manpages, rc.conf defaults, loader.help, etc., but nothing's very clear about how to enable it at boot. Sure, I can kldload it, but I want it at boot.

The behaviour is sometimes different when kldloading and loading at boot from my experience with i915 (works kldloading, but not when loading at boot time for example or the opposite, it depends on the hardware used).

> in FreeBSD - it's kld_list="radeonkms.ko", but I don't see kld_list in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. I tried it anyway, no effect.
>
> I added amdgpu_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf and it panics and I can't figure out how to recover as none of the boot menu options work (ramdisk, single user, safe mode, etc. all panic on amdgpu.ko).

Did you try kldloading amdgpu already, did it panic when doing so ? It requires having devfw-amdgpu installed, and then the driver should be able to load the firmware properly.

> Prolly an indication that amdgpu's the wrong choice :). I'm off trying to figure out how to rescue the system, but I figure once I do that I'll try radeon_load="YES" and continue the trial and error approach until I find out different.

I suggest you try kldloading it first and see how it goes by checking the kernel messages in dmesg. So if there's an issue you will be able to reboot without issue as it won't be loaded at boot time.

> How do I load my radeon driver at boot?

You can add radeon_load="YES" either in /boot/loader.conf or in /etc/rc.conf if I remember correctly. Do it once you have something working by kldloading.