Initializing a disk from with GPT

Mayu Inc. pomomayu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:39:09 PST 2023

Thank you Sir.

Yes sorry the remaining installation steps were omitted to keep it concise.
We want to use PFSs so we opted for the manual installation.

A few things on the 'gpt init' method:

When using the -B flag the machine freezes:

# gpt init -f -B -E da0 // Machine freezes

Also since the 'gpt init' method creates a boot partition on the 's0'
partition, do we install the boot code during installation as shown:

# cpdup /boot /dev/da0s0a

Does this require a separate disklabel for the s0 partition that 'gpt init'
creates:

# disklabel -B -r -w da0s0
# disklabel -e da0s0
  a:    0    1g    msdos

Would the 's1' slice only contain partitions 'b' and 'd', requiring another
disklabel:

# disklabel64 -B -r -w da0s1
# disklabel64 -e da0s1
  b: 32g * swap
  d: *  * HAMMER2

Entire sequence (assuming machine doesn't freeze):

 # gpt destroy da0
 # gpt init -f -B -E da0
 # gpt show da0

# disklabel -B -r -w da0s0