exit windowmaker hangs X, no return to xdm

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:47:26 PST 2023

On 1/16/23 9:06 AM, Will Senn wrote:
> On 1/15/23 9:57 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>> Login with ssh via another machine and check to see if any processes
>> are still present under the Xorg, preventing it from exiting.
>> Something like 'ps axlR' nicely indents children relative to their
>> parents.   If the Xorg itself is gone, X may have exited but not been
>> able to return to syscons/vty mode.   You can also try running xdm
>> manually instead from /etc/ttys to see if that has something to do
>> with it...  just do 'xdm' with no arguments in that case.
>>
>> -Matt
> Hi Matt,
>
> Thanks for the tip about indented children, very useful. Here are the
> results (neither the xdm by itself, nor the ttys xdm will exit, as
> either user or root). BTW, this isn't just wmaker, it does the same
> thing with fvwm, twm, or cwm (the three other ones I tried). I didn't
> do the process evaluation on any others than wmaker, but the behavior
> (not returning to xdm) is the same.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

snip

Hi again Matt,

Well, I still don't know what's up with xdm, but I did install slim and
after exiting wmaker, the system takes 10 seconds or so, then beeps and
returns to the slim login screen. So, that's a workable session manager.
I'm happy to troubleshoot the xdm stuff further (I did a lot of editing
.xsesssion, different users, etc. to same conclusion), but I can live
with (actually prefer) slim anyway :).

What I did:
pkg install slim slim-themes

sysrc slim_enable="YES"
sysrc dbus_enable="YES"

vi ~/.xinitrc
exec wmaker

restart, et. voila...
login, use wmaker, exit, wait for the 10 seconds and beep, then back to
slim for another round.

Will