Dports, Dsynth and Options

Seann Aswell seann at spa104.com
Thu Feb 2 22:05:59 PST 2023

On 2/2/23 12:19, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> The packages get larger and larger as the build goes on
> (since the dependencies have to be built first and those are smaller
> packages).

It took about 24 hours to get roughly 80% complete, and about another 24
hours to finish the remaining 20%. At one point there were 7 versions of
LLVM and 3 versions of GCC being compiled simultaneously, which did use
a fair amount of swapcache. However, while that was happening, the other
10 builders were humming along processing smaller packages. Very
impressive...

> As long as a good
> middle of the road Number_of_builders and Max_jobs_per_builder config is
> specified, Dsynth does a pretty good job adjusting the concurrency based
> on its understanding of memory requirements and swap use.

I wasn't sure how to most effectively configure the builders/jobs. For
the first run it was 20 builders and 2 jobs per builder (assuming 20
physical cores plus hyperthreading = 40 cores). Is my understanding of
those variables correct?