[off-list] Re: DragonFly lists mailman headers appear to be malformed

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Oct 14 11:36:55 PDT 2022

Matthew Dillon wrote in
 <CAOZ7CpB0r01o8u=e26_kAk1HLg4kZnAVCfr3hWC7hFtDkfBeSg at mail.gmail.com>:
 |I should add, because GMail keeps messing up the Reply headers :-).  I was
 |actually replying to Rich Kulawiec's email where he suggested that
 |DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN were mangled.  I've got those set
 |properly now, but unfortunately it does not appear to solve the missing
 |domains in the email headers.
 |
 |DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.dragonflybsd.org'
 |DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'

I am not using virtual hosts, and i only set the latter in
mm_cfg.py.  But..

        # See the note in Defaults.py concerning DEFAULT_HOST_NAME
        # vs. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.
        self.host_name = mm_cfg.DEFAULT_HOST_NAME or mm_cfg.DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST

in Defaults.py:

  # Mailman needs to know about (at least) two fully-qualified domain names
  # (fqdn); 1) the hostname used in your urls, and 2) the hostname used in email
  # addresses for your domain.  For example, if people visit your Mailman system
  # with "http://www.dom.ain/mailman" then your url fqdn is "www.dom.ain", and
  # if people send mail to your system via "yourlist at dom.ain" then your email
  # fqdn is "dom.ain".  DEFAULT_URL_HOST controls the former, and
  # DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST controls the latter.  Mailman also needs to know how to
  # map from one to the other (this is especially important if you're running
  # with virtual domains).  You use "add_virtualhost(urlfqdn, emailfqdn)" to add
  # new mappings.
  #
  # If you don't need to change DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST in your
  # mm_cfg.py, then you're done; the default mapping is added automatically.  If
  # however you change either variable in your mm_cfg.py, then be sure to also
  # include the following:
  #
  #     add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
  #
  # because otherwise the default mappings won't be correct.

i actuall do (oops) set

  DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.sdaoden.eu'
  DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.sdaoden.eu'
  DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'