Installing DragonFly 6.2.2 with LUKS/LVM

Udo Z cantaro at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 06:00:06 PDT 2022

Hi DragonFly Users,

I want to install DragonFlyBSD 6.2.2 on my laptop (Dell Latitude E7450, i5,
12GB RAM, 250GB SSD m.2 SATA, 14" screen 1920×1080). A default installation
done by the installer seems to work all right but when trying to install it
manually with LUKS, I hit a couple snags:

* The cryptsetup on the installer medium seems to be quite old, does not
support open and close aliases for luksOpen and luksClose (arguably a minor
inconvenience, but still), and does not seem to support LUKSv2.

* When trying to create a disklabel on the LUKS volume, or even read the
in-memory label, I get a core dump.

* When trying to create a PV using pvcreate, I get errors about udevd not
running:

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/da0s2 dfly0
WARNING!!! Possibly insecure memory. Are you root?
Enter passphrase for /dev/da0s2:
dm_target_crypt: Successfully initialized
dm_target_crypt: Setting 16 mpipe buffers
dm_target_crypt: Setting 16 mpipe buffers
# pvcreate --dataalignment=4096k /dev/mapper/dfly0
udev_new failed! Need udevd running.
[...above line repeated many times...]
  Device /dev/mapper/dfly0 not found (or ignored by filtering).

* I even tried to set up vinum instead of LVM but it complained about an
incorrect partition type. Looks like vinum is only intended to run on BSD
partitions, not on a crypt container.

Any ideas on how to go on? While I would rather use LVM if possible, as a
workaround, if DragonFly can handle a swap file on HAMMER2 just fine
(including for hibernation, if that even works on DragonFly), I could use
that, and wouldn't need LVM.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Udo