6.0 and console on ThinkPad x220

Chuck Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Thu May 27 11:59:12 PDT 2021

I worked on troubleshooting this, but didn't get very far.

For both 5.8 and 6.0, I set drm.debug to 0x777, booted the system, and
then kldloaded i915. I captured dmesg to a file in both cases for later
perusal. They are somewhat different: 6.0 does print more stuff and it
has couple warning messages that 5.8 doesn't show. Not sure what's the
best way to transmit those. Should I just attach files to the mail I
send to the list?

The warning messages are about the framebuffer (or lack of it). These
two are of interest:
WARNING !set->fb failed at
/usr/src/sys/dev/drm/drm/../drm_atomic_helper.c:2750

and a bit later:

WARNING state->crtc && !state->fb failed at
/usr/src/sys/dev/drm/drm/../drm_atomic.c:862

I tried to understand the control flow a bit better by putting some
additional trace messages in the drm modules and rebuilding with 'make
quickkernel' and 'make installkernel'. My traces did not appear in dmesg
after a reboot which is either because the traces are in the wrong place
or I am not actually running the kernel I expect. The 'uname' command
and the messages at the start of dmesg contain a date is in the past,
but I expected that date to be the date I built the kernel, i.e. right
now.

Chuck