6.0 and console on ThinkPad x220

Chuck Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Thu May 20 11:54:29 PDT 2021

That's correct: if the i915 module isn't loaded, then the console works
normally. I tried loading the driver by hand after booting and the
console becomes frozen: nothing new is displayed. But, yes, the system
is still running. I've always been able to SSH when the console is
frozen. The console does take input: I tried typing the shutdown command
as you suggested and the system did respond by shutting down cleanly.

I turned on the debug messages and it produced a ton of output. Nothing
stood out to me, other than the error I mentioned earlier. I don't know
what to look for really. But the error was this:

error: [drm:pid886:gen6_gmch_probe] *ERROR* Can't set DMA
mask/consistent mask (-5)

Another thing to mention is that I've had kernel.kms_console=1 in
loader.conf. I got that from an example but don't actually know what it
means. Generally, I'm wondering where to find documentation on settings
like that, and maybe find out about related ones.

Chuck