Recommended Radeon GPU?

nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 16:24:55 PST 2021

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 20:30:44 +0000
Mike Carroll <mdcarroll6 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Was wondering what would be a good workstation GPU that DFLYBSD supports. Looking at the AMD Radeon Pros in particular.

A good workstation is nowadays a loose definition ... for 2D ? for 3D ? for real-intensive-CAD/CAM/whatever ?

It all depends what you intend to do with it to begin with.

For example; the AMD Radeon Pro WX3200 (GCN#4 aka Arctic Islands) (Polaris12 µP released 07-2019) is perfect for me for 2D-only since I am a developer and I prize multiple high-resolution displays over everything else; real-state screen is king at my desktop, I do not care at all for 3D support. That being said; the WX3200 is a full-length low-profile low-power card (50 Watts) with 4 mDP outputs @ 3840x2160 on a 16X PCIe slot (wired for 8X only) fitted with 4 GB. It fits perfectly on rack-mount servers and does not mess much with front-to-bottom airflow. Mine is installed with the provided full-height bracket which has openings on a third/quarter of its total length to provide more airflow.

There's even a lower-entry WX2100 with less outputs too.

These cards are used at control/monitor installations and at a lot of financial trading desktops; what was once Matrox territory.

If you happen to need real 3D support you should look far higher in the Radeon lineup but I can't comment on support since I do not have any real experience with them on DragonFly and sure there will be more informed guys here to assist you.