Thousands of "lookupdotdot failed" messages - should I be worried?

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Wed Jun 16 11:06:01 PDT 2021

If you are not seeing any actual I/O errors in the dmesg output, then there
is probably no issue with the filesystem.

The dotdot warnings might be some edge-case being caused by the null-mounts
(because the null-mount has a mount point, but its being mounted on top of
a sub-directory in an underlying filesystem).  If you can track down the
operation that is causing message, it might just wind up being a patch to
the kernel to get rid of the console warning for that particular case.  If
you can find a simple configuration that I can throw onto a test box to get
the same error, I can track down the issue and fix it.