how to make /dev/dri directory exist ?

Jason Vas Dias jason.vas.dias at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:21:03 PDT 2021

Good day -

  I just installed DragonFlyBSD 6.0 on an Intel Core-7 x86_64,
  under Linux Qemu/KVM at first, into a real disk partition
  (I can later boot it on real hardware).

  I am able to boot into DragonFly from the installed disk
  under the virt-manager GUI.

  After doing 'pkg update', and 'pkg install' of:
     xorg xorg-drivers xorg-server xdm xterm emacs mesa-libs \
     mesa-gallium-vdpau mesa-gallium-xa enlightenment
  , which installed many dependencies, and rebooting and doing
     # Xorg -configure > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  , 'Xorg :0' still fails with:
    (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

  - the /dev/dri directory still does not exist.

  I turned 'on' the line in /etc/ttys that runs xdm, but
  using <ALT>+<CTRL>+<F9> key does NOT switch to a graphical
  XDM screen on ttyv8 , and no graphical login is presented during boot.

  Qemu/KVM gives me options to create QXL or Virtio or VGA
  virtual video card. QXL and Virtio do not seem to work -
  should they ?

  I tried 'kldload i915 drm', and still no /dev/dri directory
  is created.

  Please could anyone suggest what to try to get video working
  when running DragonFly under Linux Qemu/KVM .

  The video card reports as:

  00:02:0 VGA Compatible Controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio GPU (Rev 01)

  (the Virtio option). I did try the QXL option as well.

  and there is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    BusId	"PCI:0.2.0"
  , so it looks like Xorg found the right card.

  Any ideas how to get DLFY video working under Linux Qemu/KVM ?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Jason