Hammer errors.

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 15:11:57 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 3:00 PM Matthew Dillon <dillon at backplane.com> wrote:

> Upgrade to 6.0 for sure, as it fixes at least one bug in HAMMER2, to
> eliminate that possibility.

Yes, both the previous installation and the one I put together yesterday
were running 6.0. The previous install had been upgraded to 6.0 when 6.0
was released (or within a couple of days).

> RAM is a possibility, though unlikely.  If you are overclocking, turn off
> the overclocking.  An ovewrclocked CPU can introduce corruption more easily
> than overclocked ram can.

Not overclocking. RAM in this machine is non-ECC: I could imagine a bit
error slipping into a checksum, though.

And check the dmesg for any NVME related errors.

No NVMe related errors appeared in the dmesg. That a completely separate
NVMe part would exhibit the same problem would tend to indicate a hardware
error outside of the storage device itself (RAM, bad CPU, I suppose, or a
signal integrity issue when seating the NVMe part) or a software bug. That
the system had previously been running the same version of the software for
over a month without issue, and a fresh install popped up the same errors
on the same hardware (modulo the new storage device) would suggest some
sort of hardware issue.

I'm going to run a memtest and see if I can get an NVMe diagnostic to run
somehow.

        - Dan C.