X fails to start because of module ABI version mismatch

Roland Sadowski szabla at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 12:02:13 PST 2021

Hi all,

I'm getting the following error when starting X with the intel driver:

	module ABI major version (20) doesn't match the server's version (24)

I’m running latest stable on a Skylake NUC with integrated graphics. It used to work, but doesn’t after updating (which I haven’t done in a while). Is there something I can do to fix it?

X works with the vesa driver but perf is bad (e.g. very noticeable screen tearing).

-R