Installing Dragonflybsd on old board.

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Mon Apr 26 00:16:30 PDT 2021

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 11:01:46AM -0300, andre almeida pfeiffer wrote:
> Hello,

Ola Andre,

> I'm new to this list so I would like to introduce myself. My name is
> Pfeiffer, I'm from Brazil and for some time now I have wanted to try
> Dragonflybsd out.

Welcome to DragonFly! Seems like you have german ancestors, at least
your name suggests that :)

> My computer is an old GA 78LMT USB 3 with Amd FX and 32GB ram.
>
> I would like to setup Dragonflybsd with some hypervisor (Best if its XEN or
> KVM, although, from what I read, XEN is not currently supported).
>
> After burning the Dragonflybsd system either to a usb stick or CD/DVD I
> have been unable to get it to load the system installer. Not much
> information or control is show to help me, I'm also not very knowledgeable
> about operating systems inner details. Is there someone who could help me
> debug and install the system in that mentioned setup? Maybe I'm missing
> some setup on my board?

Where exactly does it stop working? Can you provide a screenshot?

Note that DragonFly might not be the most user-friendly operating system
out there. It's likely that you will encounter some issues here and
there.  Some hardware might not be supported or some software will not
work. Keep that in mind. Other than that, it's a great operating system
with very helpful community.

Running DragonFly under KVM should work flawlessly. My DragonFly server
was running under KVM for years without any issues. Dunno about XEN. For
sure there is no dom0 support.

Regards,

  Michael