Missing libraries

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat Sep 19 14:23:35 PDT 2020

Jonathan Engwall <engwalljonathanthereal at gmail.com> asks:

>> I need to know how to find the package that supply shared libraries, by the
>> libraries the packages provide.

I strongly recommend always installing the pkg-provides package on
FreeBSD and its derivatives, and on DragonFlyBSD.

After installation pkg-provides, a three lines in
/usr/local/etc/pkg.conf need tweaking to look like this:

	PKG_PLUGINS_DIR = "/usr/local/lib/pkg/";
	PKG_ENABLE_PLUGINS = true;
	PLUGINS [ provides ] ;

You then need to run (just once):

	# pkg provides -u

>From then on, an index of providing packages is maintained for all
currently, and subsequently, installed files.

You can then find the package that supplies a particular file like this:

	% pkg provides /usr/local/bin/gmake
	Name    : gmake-4.3_2
	Desc    : GNU version of 'make' utility
	Repo    : Avalon