A Tale Of Two USB Pen Drives

Alexander Shendi Alexander.Shendi at web.de
Fri Sep 18 12:02:51 PDT 2020

Dear list,

so yesterday I decided to try out Dragonfly BSD. So I booted OpenBSD 6.8-beta on my trusty Lenovo Thinkpad X220 and promptly downloaded the 5.8.1 release memstick image. I then used dd(1) to copy it to /dev/rsd1c and rebooted. I rejoiced that the image booted but was dismayed that it asked me to specify the root fs. Choices of da0 da0s4 and da8 were displayed. By subsequent use of "lsdev -v" at the boot prompt I determined that "da8" probably was the correct choice, with da0s4 being the OpenBSD partition, which I wanted to leave alone.

Use of "ufs:da8", "hammer2:da8", "ffs:da8" all gave an error reading sector 0 of the device.
I thought that the pen drive might be defective and went to town to buy another one. That didn't help. Neither did using the current snapshot help.

I'm now at loss what to do. I like challenges and simply using the working OpenBSD installation won't do.

I would be grateful for any help, or pointers to any dics that I can RTFM. TIA.

Best Regards,

/Alexander
--
Ceci n'est pas un courriel.