hammer2: ls reports "No such file or directory"

Aleksej Lebedev root at zta.lk
Mon Oct 12 08:37:19 PDT 2020

Hi!

I've been using hammer1 for many years on my personal servers. I have a local machine at home with 5T disk that serves as a backup for everything on the internet. With hammer1 I backed up all my data using hammer mirror-stream.

Recently I switched to hammer2. In order to do backups I do a regular snapshots on the servers and then cpdup them to  /backup/<host>/current and then make snapshots locally with the same tag.

Just now I got a weird error that I can't explain. Cpdup complained that the directory I am copying my data TO is not empty.

    /backup/ar/current//home/a/video/plov/104D7100 rmdir failed: Directory not empty
    /backup/ar/current//home/a/video/plov rmdir failed: Directory not empty
    /backup/ar/current//home/a/video rmdir failed: Directory not empty

The story is that I run the backup command:

    cpdup -v -i0 ar:/snapshot/2020-10-08-13-01-33.UTC/ /backup/ar/current/

Then it failed because of the bad internet connection. So I simply re-run the command, I didn't reboot the machine, neither the remote server, nor the one at home. The files that cpdup can't delete were indeed deleted on server since the previous backup - that's correct. But the filesystem on my machine at home seems corrupted.

Ls -l reports on that directory "No such file or directory" on every file it contains:

    a at sa:~$ ls -lh /backup/ar/current//home/a/video/plov/104D7100
    ls: DSC_8762.JPG: No such file or directory
    ls: DSC_8784.MOV: No such file or directory
    ls: DSC_8797.MOV: No such file or directory

But the directory entries are there:

    a at sa:~$ ls /backup/ar/current//home/a/video/plov/104D7100/
    DSC_8762.JPG    DSC_8784.MOV    DSC_8797.MOV

It isn't it a bug in hammer2? If so what should I do to investigate it further? Or am I missing something?

Btw, I can't delete these files either.

Everything else seems to work just fine.

--
Aleksej Lebedev