DragonFly and rEFInd multiboot?

Martin Ivanov martin.ivanov at greenpocket.de
Mon Mar 23 02:08:19 PDT 2020

Hello!

I am trying to get multiboot a UEFI laptop (ASUS ZENBOOK PRO
I7-7700HQ/16GB/512GB SSD BLACK, Notebook mit 15.6 Zoll Display, Core™ i7
Prozessor, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, GeForce® GTX1050, Matte Black) with
refind-0.12.0.

My plan is to multiboot DragonFly BSD, OpenBSD und Linux.
I created an EFI System Partition (ESP) of 512 MiB, an copied there the
contents of the refind directory. My main operating system will be
DragonFly BSD, that is why I installed it first. I just can't get it to
boot, because refind does not start. Instead, at boot I only get a black
screen with the message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

The ESP /dev/nvme0s0 is a FAT16-formatted partion /dev/nvme0s0 and
contains the following files:
1.bootx64.efi, renamed from refind_x64.efi
2. bootx64-dragonflybsd.efi, renamed from DragonFly's /boot/boot1.efi
3. drivers_x64
4. icons
5. refind.conf
6. tools_x64

To boot the DragonFly BSD I use an external hard drive, where I have
DragonFly and OpenBSD in a dual boot with rEFInd. I somehow managed to
get it to work there a year ago. At that point of time my laptop had
Linux on; I installed DragonFly and OpenBSD on the external drive with
an ESP having the same contents as described above. Maybe I have run a
command from within the Linux telling the UEFI firmware to look for
rEFInd on the external drive but I don't remember this.

  Currently, when I boot from the external hard drive I get the rEFInd
menu and I can select and boot the DragonFly BSD on my laptops nvme0
drive. I would like to be ablo to start the rEFInd installation on my
laptops ESP. Any ideas what I have to do to achieve that? Any
suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin A. Ivanov
GreenPocket GmbH - Kundennähe durch Smart Metering -
E-Mail              martin.ivanov at greenpocket.de

Webadresse  www.greenpocket.de