DFly full source history until the epoch of FreeBSD

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Mon Mar 2 05:05:34 PST 2020

Hi all,

The current DragonFly BSD Git repository only has the code history since
the fork in 2003, but no FreeBSD history before the fork.  To get the
full code history, I employed the 'git-replace' method to graft the
source history from FreeBSD before the fork to the first commit of
DragonFly BSD.

I actually did this work last year, but today I finally created a wiki
page to describe how to make use of the grafted history and to elaborate
the method I used.  So here is the page:

https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/dfly_source_full_history/

This extends the DragonFly BSD source code history by ~50k commits from
FreeBSD until the epoch of the FreeBSD source.

It's awesome that our gitweb interface recognizes the 'replace'
information and can show the grafted history in the 'blame' view. For
example:

https://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~aly/dragonfly.git/blame/HEAD:/README

However, Github doesn't have this feature in the 'blame' view.

Cheers,
Aaron