Dragonfly as the base?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 10:38:27 PDT 2020

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 11:25:34 -0400, you wrote:

>I had heard somewhere that Dragonfly uses Mir as a replacement to Xorg so
>as to keep the footprint size down but am not completely sure about this.

Don't think so, and Ubuntu (creator of Mir) don't use it for desktop
anymore so I wouldn't expect to find anyone using it.

>This is meant to be an super-ultra-thin ISO (smallest possible ISO livecd
>footprint) that has just a single remote access client application and
>absolutely nothing more while making the ISO absolutely as small as
>possible. (The smaller the better)

I don't think either DragonFly or FreeBSD offer a GUI in their live
images so that will be your first problem.

>I had investigated using Linux as a possible pathway but think that FreeBSD
>could be a better option for what I want since there are a few
>other customizations that I want to add in as well.

I suspect this is a case where Linux, with its abundunce of paid
developers which means most major distributions have live gui images,
might be a better choice (though I could be wrong about the state of
things on the *bsd side).