Byhve

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Fri Feb 28 18:24:23 PST 2020

preferred-stack-boundary is an option that specifies what the compiler
should align procedure stacks to, as a power of 2.  So the value 4 means to
align procedure stacks to 16 bytes.  You can probably remove this option,
modern compilers should align elements properly by default.  Older
compilers did not.

All of the floating point options such as --mno-sse5' generally tell the
compiler not to use FP instructions or registers in generated kernel code.
This is because the kernel does not fully save the user floating point
state across system calls or interrupts.  These options or the equivalent
for clang are mandatory.

I don't know what the -mno-abm options does.

The indirect-branch mode... ummm. I think that turns on retpoline security
mitigations for indirect calls, but I'm not sure.

The inline-limit option tells the compiler to allow larger inline functions
to be inlined.  You can probably remove this.