attempting to boot Dell PowerEdge R710 with uEFI still panics with 2020-08-20-LATEST

nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 09:15:59 PDT 2020

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 11:19:40 +0300
"karu.pruun" <karu.pruun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro mobo with Ryzen Threadripper 3970X and
> it crashes with the same message when booting with 'pure' UEFI. And it
> boots fine when booting with BIOS emulation (enable 'CSM
> (Compatibility Support Module)').

Sadly these servers have no options other than BIOS vs uEFI.
See attached screenshot please.

> However, on this mobo there is also a way to boot with UEFI when parts
> of the CMS module are enabled. For this, I enable the CSM module; then
> a sub-menu appears which enables further configuration. It gives the
> following type of selections for various device classes:
>
> [UEFI and Legacy OPROM] [Legacy OPROM only] [UEFI only]
>
> Tweaking those I managed to boot via UEFI with the video is recognized
> with the EFI buffer and a higher resolution than what BIOS would give.
> I can't remember exactly which one I enabled, but I can check and
> report next week when I get back to office.
>
> So you might be able to make it work if your mobo has similar options.

Last night, with what I learned so far booting the BSDs, I was able to
successfully boot this server with freeBSD 11.4 (and even with 12.1) via
uEFI. With the following loader options:

- set kern.kms_columns=-1
- gop set 0

I ended up booting without any problems at 1920x1200 with 240x75 on all
virtual terminals (including vtty0). Yes, I know, this is vt not syscons,
so I can't compare with dragonFly, but it is UTF-8-aware out of the box
which for me is fantastic :) ... I think dragonFly is the only BSD
without a native UTF-8 system console right now, am I right ?

I want to run dragonFly and not freeBSD, but given the persistent issues
popping up with this hardware/software combo, I am now seriously
considering to switch to freeBSD/ZFS instead of DF/HAMMER2. These servers
are topped with storage/memory and I badly want them running soon and not
sitting iddle for testing purposes. I do not have other hardware :(