DragonFly bad performance with RIAK benchmark

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Sun Aug 16 04:23:38 PDT 2020

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 01:01:12PM +0200, Michael Neumann wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 04:29:24PM +0200, Jávorszky Balázs wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Thx for the tips, gonna check them. I myself doubt too that it's
> > DragonFly or HAMMER2 :) My feeling is that erlang should be at least
> > marginally faster on DragonFly/HAMMER2.
> >
> > A guestion regarding the latest erlang/elixir: have you seen these error
> > messages? They are annoying but don't affect overall operation.
> >
> > ```
> >
> > 16:26:59.500 [error] Bad output fd in erts_poll()! fd=22,
> > port=#Port<0.5>, driver=spawn, name=/usr/local/bin/git
> >
> > ```
>
> No I did not recognize those on my system, but that does not mean that
> they did not appear.
>
> This is coming from erts/emulator/sys/common/erl_check_io.c line 1893,
> function bad_fd_in_pollset(). Why is it spawning "git"??
>
> If you have any "simple" benchmark that we can run on DragonFly which
> exhibits the same performance degradation please let me know and I will
> try to run it on my system.
>
> Regards,
>
>   Michael

Sorry, I did not read your message carefully enough (read on phone while
in holidays :). So it seems you are building the basho Erlang/OTP
version from git. Make sure to apply the patches from dports
/usr/dports/lang/erlang/{files,dragonfly}.  Especially the DragonFly
specific one:

    /usr/dports/lang/erlang/dragonfly/patch-erts_configure.in.

In case they apply.

You should also try to run Riak with the "official" Erlang/OPT from our
ports (pkg ins erlang)! Basho states that it should be fully
interoperable and the version you are building is OTP/16 while we have
OTP/21 in the ports.

Regards,

  Michael