booting development image from USB gets "root mount failed"

nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 21:44:36 PDT 2020

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:07:50 -0500
Jonathan Douglas Engwall <engwalljonathanthereal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen root mount failed but never with a risk that worked in another machine, if I follow.
> Maybe you should just try burning a new copy.
> Good luck :)

Johnathan:

Almost two weeks since I came across this issue while booting the live CD I can say that in the
meantime I booted and rebooted the liveCD a zillion times since I am in the process of learning a
few things and, that:

- it is not a particular issue booting our liveCD.

- it seems something is going between dragonFly and the USB keys in general (all the ones I have
are Kingston branded so I do not have anything else to compare against). Sometimes the liveCD boots
without issues, other times I hit this issue, but the important part, I think is that when after
the liveCD booted no matter what and gives me a working environment I can insert other USB keys
and EVERY time I do so I can see dmesg reporting such drive inserted almost instantaneously BUT if
I want to mount it right then I encounter the same issue because it is not assigned a
/dev/whatever# at once, I should wait a minute or so until I see dmesg (I mean the messages
appearing on ttyv0) show additional parameters and related info for the inserted drive, then, and
only then I can start mounting/using the USB key. For the record: this behavior is not observed in
arch-linux on the same machine with the same USB keys but I guess this is a completely different
story --I comment on this one because at first glance I suspected faulty/shitty firmware.