how do I label (meaning adding a reminder caption) to any given BSD slice ?

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Mon Aug 10 17:04:16 PDT 2020

> On Aug 10, 2020, at 10:43, Dan Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Aug 9, 2020, 14:04 nacho Lariguet <lariguet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ie: the "label:" field shown under the "diskid:" one with disklabel64
>>
>> It seems there is no switch (maybe -l) on disklabel64 (when using -w) to label a slice.
>

> I believe you want to specify the pack id. Please check with:
>
> disklabel -w -n your_disk auto 'your_label'

Yes, disklabel(8) currently has no option to add/modify the packid (i.e. label name) of a slice. At the moment, one need to dump the current label, modify the ‘label:’ field, and then write back.

It’s on my todo list for some time to update disklabel(8) to better do this job, since we are using it in the installer images.

Regards,
Aaron