can I use the display native resolution on vty0 as on any other vty's using KMS ?

nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:17:37 PDT 2020

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 22:43:29 -0300
nacho Lariguet <lariguet at gmail.com> wrote:

> With the following configuration
> on a Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny M715q
> with an AMD Pro A10/R7 APU installed
> hooked through DP to a HP Z-24i LCD (1920x1200 native)
> I successfully got 240x75 characters on all virtual terminals
> except on vty0 which is stuck at 80x25 (@ 640x480 I guess):
>
> ... in /boot/loader.conf:
>
> kern.kms_console=1
> kern.kms_columns=-1
>
> ... in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> drm_load="yes"
> radeon_load="yes"
>
> allscreens_flags="-t 1800 -h 100 -f 8x16 iso15-thin-8x16 -m off"
> allscreens_kbdflags="-l us.iso -r 250.34 -b off"

This is a follow-up:

Today I fired-up once again the laptop I last used to check dragonFly (a test-bed) before attempting to install it on the PowerEdge servers.

Although it runs 5.4.1-RELEASE it has the same configuration I am running in the newer Lenovo regarding this post, except for the fact that the laptop is booting through BIOS (no uEFI at all) while the Lenovo is booting through uEFI.

The laptop has a Radeon video card and loads the radeon[kms] driver as well.

- 5.4.1 on the laptop gets me ttyv0 @ 1920x1200 by default
- 5.9.# on the Lenovo gets me standard VGA only

Obviously something changed between 5.4.1 and 5.9.# because I am now sure not to be configuring anything different.