Having /var/run separately mounted?

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Tue Apr 28 03:31:32 PDT 2020

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 07:14:43AM +0000, Dr. Martin Ivanov wrote:

Have you tried adding an entry to fstab like this:

/build/var.run	/var/run	null	rw	0	0

This should then be mounted automatically by /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal.
Once mountcritlocal has mounted the local file systems it will create a
/var/run/shm entry. So your /build/var.run should have a `shm`
subdirectory.

If you want to mount /var/run as tmpfs then you have to edit
/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal slightly. Right at the end you will find:

	mount_tmpfs -m 01777 dummy /var/run/shm
	mkdir -p -m 01777 /var/run/shm/tmp

If /var/run should be a tmpfs, the `shm` directory and other directories
will not exist and you have to create them. Take a look at
/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist and search for `var`. You will find the
subdirectories and their modes that you have to create. Create those
directories right before the `mount_tmpfs` call above.

Haven't tried that myself, but I think that should work.

Regards,

  Michael