Disk issues on Hyper-V

Lassi Kortela lassi at lassi.io
Sun Apr 5 23:55:14 PDT 2020

Sorry, I missed this part of your message:

> I also tried switching the disk from the IDE controller to the SCSI controller, but when I did that, dragonfly couldn't see the disk any longer.

I'm not familiar with Hyper-V, but if it emulates several different
types of disk controllers it's best to try them all. VirtualBox has
about 10 different types; one that worked for me was AHCI.

When virtualizing, heavy load on the host computer may cause dropped
packets in some situations. Some OSes / disk drivers are a lot more
sensitive to it than others. I've had a lot of problems emulating recent
versions of NetBSD and if I run it side by side with another virtualized
machine, there are tons of I/O errors due to timeouts or stalled reads.
I don't recall having such problems with DragonFly, but if nothing else
works and you tend to have high CPU/disk load, it's worth trying to
reduce all other activity on the host computer and see whether the
timeouts still persist.