Cannot enable HOSTAP for if_run RT3070 chipset

qab smith qabulin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 02:44:21 PDT 2020

I'm struggling to get my PCi-e wireless device with RT3070 chipset to enable with hostap mode.  I'm running DragonFly v5.6.2.6.g1e4c0-RELEASE, and started with the default x86_64 generic kernel.  The dmesg output and errors I get are pasted below when I try to create wlan0 with hostap mode (note the list of caps below shows HOSTAP is an option).

I read the run(4) man pages to make sure my driver and modules were loaded, and went an extra step to install a new kernel based off of the generic kernel and with the recommended run(4) config just in case.  I'm still not able to bring the device up in hostap mode.

Any advice on what I may be overlooking or possible troubleshooting I may have missed?

Thanks,
~qab~

+++

## checking available caps...
# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev run0
# ifconfig wlan0 list caps
drivercaps=d85c501<STA,IBSS,HOSTAP,SHSLOT,SHPREAMBLE,MONITOR,MBSS,WPA1,WPA2,WME,WDS>
cryptocaps=1b<WEP,TKIP,AES_CCM,TKIPMIC>

## try to create with hostap enabled...
# ifconfig wlan0 destroy
# ifconfig wlan create wlandev run0 wlanmode hostap
ifconfig: Don't know to create hostap for wlan

# dmesg | egrep 'run|wlan'
run0: <1.0> on usbus0
run0: MAC/BBP RT3070 (rev 0x0201), RF RT3020 (MIMO 1T1R), address 74:f0:6d:87:02:36
wlan0: driver didn't set altq_maxlen
wlan0: MAC address: 74:f0:6d:87:02:36