Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X] - no Chromium, Firefox or FreeCAD

François Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Mon Oct 28 14:20:08 PDT 2019

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 21:52:05 +1000
Romick <yellowrabbit2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just bought a R7 260X videocard. Installed v5.6.2 on the clean disk and then upgraded to DragonFly v5.7.0.779.g538de, updated all installed packages from binary and installed Xorg, chromium, firefox and mpv.
>
> What doesn't work: chromium just hangs, no window.
> Firefox works until I turn on the HW composition, then it also freezes,
> but after a while it prints:
> =================
> Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: Killing GPU process due to IPC reply timeout (t=14.4956) [GFX1-]: Killing GPU process due to IPC reply timeout
> ###!!! [Child][MessageChannel::SendAndWait] Error: Channel error: cannot send/recv
> ###!!! [Child][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x59001E,name=PLayerTransaction::Msg_Shutdown) Channel error: cannot send/recv
> =================
[...]
> I drew attention to the warnings (radeon: No suitable DMA available   radeon: No coherent DMA available.) is it possible that the reason is in these DMA failures?

These are not really failures, just warnings.
All of the Linux memory management APIs have not been implemented and
the radeon driver is unhappy about it but that doesn't prevent things
from working.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find out what is going wrong here.

There is a new version of the radeon driver (and drm code) in the
branch drm_ttm_radeon_4_9_rebased in my repository on leaf, which
will likely be pushed soon to master. It could perhaps help.

You could also try disabling OpenGL usage in chromium:

  chrome --disable-gpu

ATB,

--
François Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org>