Installation 'halts' at boot after initialising UEFI framebuffer

Nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 20:45:08 PDT 2019

I am still unable to boot in UEFI mode even with this patch.

first time was on 4.8 (picture 1), then on 5.0, then on 5.2
every one of them a no-go

now that I've seen this patch I tried the daily image for 2019-03-20
setting the loader tunables as described:

sc.probe_early=1 (A)
machdep.hack_efifb_probe_early=1 (B) (updated bug report # 3167)

I did try each one and both of them; the difference being:

+ with (A):
- the server goes to picture 3 (EFI framebuffer information)
- and panics on picture 4 (panic: alst_radix_free: freeing free block)

+ with (B):
- the server hangs (?) on picture 3 (EFI framebuffer information)

Tried this on Dell PowerEdge R710/R610 servers (UEFI 2.1)
last available firmware installed: 6.6.0

Note the difference between picture 0 (last year panic on 4.8) and
picture 4 (today's panic)

And of course selecting BIOS instead of UEFI in boot options works.

--
nacho Lariguet
lariguet at gmail.com