DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Wed Jul 31 08:52:35 PDT 2019

Gerald Henriksen wrote in <b2m1ke19flrrnp8abjlbk6nl24uejh5g63 at 4ax.com>:
 |On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:25:52 +0200, you wrote:
 |
 |>Gerald Henriksen wrote in <4oh0keh5094i2g324gqteaj976podia574 at 4ax.com>:
 |>|If DragonFly is to continue on as a viable project it needs to attract
 |>|new participants who are not just willing to help with running a mail
 |>|server, but with actually contributing to the project by porting
 |>|software - whether it be just getting packages working, creating new
 |>|packages, or getting things like Bluetooth and Nvidia working on
 |>|Dragonfly.
 |>|
 |>|Regardless of what we all think, email is dead to the newer generation
 |>|of developers and a requirement to use an email list to join DragonFly
 |>|merely ensures that any younger developers looking for an opensource
 |>|opportunity look elsewhere.
 |>
 |>Well, they use it when they want to go Linux.  Why should they
 |>fail to use it when going DragonFly?  That does not sound logical.
 |
 |At least one Linux distribution has discussed the idea of moving, for

Oh, i was talking about the Kernel.  I mean, i have no real idea,
the listing still mentions that bugs shall go over the ML, though
they seem to prefer Bugzilla for that, .. but nonetheless.

 |the same reason - the difficulty of attracting new contributors given
 |the disdain for email from the younger generation.

And i saw (the abstract of) that article on lwn.net regarding the
community "finally shall move away" (or similar).  But which
lwn.net strengthened with the attribute "lengthy blog post" i seem
to recall.  Hm.

 |And similar to here, pushback from the existing community has made it
 |unlikely - with of course the problem that they aren't solving the
 |getting new contributors problem that plagues most opensource
 |projects.
 |
 |>I think it is a mess!
 |
 |I'm happy with email, and while I don't have the aversion to web based
 |solutions I had in the past - I merely find them tolerable - I am also
 |not in the position of attempting to attract new blood into a project.

Me too, me too.  I was talking about "i would drive Range Rover if
i could take the responsibility".  Thirty years later i am
drowning in SUVs here, bah.  (And those cannot even go
all-terrain, but that is something different.)  Etc., etc.

 --End of <b2m1ke19flrrnp8abjlbk6nl24uejh5g63 at 4ax.com>

--steffen