DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon Jul 29 08:27:09 PDT 2019

The mailing list software has been less than stellar, but the bigger
problem is in areas that we have very little control over.  We have no
control over other people's spam filters, and the mailing list software
itself has to deal with a constant influx of spam (which is why you have to
be subscribed, now).   It is almost impossible to manage it any other way.
Nearly all of the internet has moved on to WWW based forum-like mechanisms
because they are a whole lot easier to manage.  We're going to have to as
well.

I feel that we do not have a choice here.  Privately-run mail systems, in
general, are almost dead due to the spam load.  I have to forward my own
personal domain email through GMail just to be able to continue using it
and my GMail spam mailbox consistently contains more than 3000 spams in it
(30-day expiration, so ... 100+ spams per day). And that doesn't count the
ones Google auto-deletes immediately or the ones my smtp server discards.
 I've tried everything possible to keep my personal domain and dragonfly's
domain email usable but its an impossible task.

-Matt