DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

M. L. Wilson ipc at peercorpstrust.org
Sun Jul 28 06:24:25 PDT 2019

How time flies, I have been a DragonFly user since about 2013. Certainly
not as long as many of you but I got a very good introduction to *nix
administration from the senior fellows around here and on IRC. DragonFly
is a wonderful OS and has a very dedicated community that has built up
around it. Filesystem, simplicity, innovativeness and the available
packages are my main reasons for sticking with the OS.

I can appreciate the suggested road map, but just wanted to add only one
suggestion. Michael Neumann already suggested it, so I'd like to second
it and provide some additional reasoning why.

HAMMER2 is a graceful filesystem. I trust it more than any other
filesystem that I've used - period. Compression was a must have feature
- its there and works solidly. Live dedup is fast and provides
additional space savings. However, there is constant need to have data
in more than one place for backup or loss prevention situations, and the
current solutions (rsync etc.) are nowhere near as convenient or as well
engineered as HAMMER1's tools.

I think we can all certainly patiently wait for the clustering features
to be developed and integrated, but some kind of HAMMER2 "mirror-copy",
"mirror-stream" or a basic level sync that is consistent across two
nodes (master-slave mirroring?) would be extremely useful. Many who were
initially drawn to DragonFly spoke about the easy filesystem mirroring
features as being THE killer features that made them want to explore the
OS more deeply. Upon discovering the other DragonFly luxuries they
stayed! All of this to say, HAMMER2 fans are pleading for a some low
level filesystem synchronization tools whether network enabled or single
node (disk to disk etc.). With that, I'd certainly be at peace while the
clustering features mature over time.

To all of the developers, thank you for your efforts! You are
appreciated and there are countless more DragonFly users (whether they
realize it or not) out in the world that benefit from your tremendous
contributions to open source!

Michael (AKA kerma)