DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Jul 22 20:04:58 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM Matthew Dillon <dillon at backplane.com> wrote:

> This upgrade will allow us to do full builds for both release and dev in roughly one day instead of seven days,
> and do it without interfering with staging work that might be happening at the same time.

All these quick building cycles means we have more packages now,
running and easily installed, than we've ever had before.  Much better
than when we were using pkgsrc tools - a problem that can be partially
laid at my feet.  Something I've wanted to do for some time is to
create ports web pages, sort of like freshports, or pkgsrc.se, or one
of those sites, just to show how much variety we have and for easy
lookup.  Given that our website is git-based, we could export the
pkg-descr pages for each port, lay them out with links, and import
automatically into the website.  I'm working 3 jobs right now so it
isn't going to happen from me soon, but that idea's there for the
taking.

> posterity).  So we are looking into potentially shifting user interaction to a web-based forum, perhaps
> this year, and retiring the mailing lists, leaving just an archive for the mailing list.  Possibly sometime
> this year, so look for action on that upcoming.

This is in part why I started the Digest.  (Everyone reading this
knows about dragonflybsddigest.com, right?)  There needs a way for
people to pick up pertinent news without requiring a wade through
mailing lists or realtime-only communication like IRC.  I think it's
worked well for catching announcements and topical information.

Along those lines...  I post something DragonFly-related daily, so you
can tell the general level of project activity by how far back in time
each post reaches for material.  The more "postable" DragonFly things
I find, the bigger my backlog.  I'm currently more than _a month_
behind.  I'm still linking to work done before the 5.6 release, cause
there's more happening than my posting rate can keep up with!  I've
never had this much material before, in 17 years or so of posting.