scheduling permissions (jackd)

Tse Gratis tse.gratis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 12:08:44 PST 2019

Hiya,

I'm trying to use DragonflyBSD for realtime audio with jackd.  The
recentish scheduling priority work seem like a good match for fat
convoluted reverbs...  Mwahaha...

Anyway, jackd runs fine as superuser, but as a normal user says:
> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
8519872, from thread 8519872] (1: Operation not permitted)
> cannot create engine

I guess it's a permissions thing?  This just gives the same message:
> sudo rtprio 0 nice -n -20 su `whoami` -c "jackd -doss"

The user I'm trying it under is part of 'wheel' and 'video', and ulimit
says the user is unlimited.  The priority option in login.conf is
':priority=0:'

This page http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html says I should
use pam.  I've tried this, but pam_limits does not seem to be in the system
anyway

So I'm stuck, but it works for superuser...  So I should be able to get it
to work somehow??

If someone could help or give a suggestion;  that would be awesome

Another other, much smaller, issue is with pam_ssh.  However I set it up
pamtester says:
> pamtester: invoking pam_start(login, tse, ...)
> pamtester: Initialization failure

And /var/log/messages contains:
> beloved pamtester: in try_dlopen(): /usr/lib/security//pam_ssh.so.2:
/usr/lib/priv/libprivate_ssh.so.4: Undefined symbol "inflateInit_"
> beloved pamtester: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_ssh.so found
> beloved login: in try_dlopen(): /usr/lib/security//pam_ssh.so.2:
/usr/lib/priv/libprivate_ssh.so.4: Undefined symbol "inflateInit_"
> beloved login: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_ssh.so found
> beloved login: pam_start(): System error

Anyway, thanks for a great system, and for any help