DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Aug 2 08:23:31 PDT 2019

Pierre Abbat wrote in <6138981.HCoiYUZI26 at mooncat>:
 |On Thursday, 1 August 2019 11.51.32 EDT Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> I say nonetheless, i do not have twitter nor facebook, nor will
 |> ever have unless chip implant mandatory for not being expelled.
 |> I see no problems with mail except patch review, but which does
 |> neither hurt me, and then also can be worked around by placing the
 |> patch inline.  Setting up mailman is terrible, though, and it
 |> seems Python 2 series becomes obsoleted, so that there a painful
 |> step to Python 3 and the "new" mailman had to be achieved.  Maybe
 |> sr.ht (iirc) is a solution.
 |
 |After trying to set up Mailman and getting lost, I chose Sympa for the
 |Bezitopo mailing list.

I found it quite simple, actually, pretty good documented.  The
problem is that updating is a pain, so i have a script which does
so (i always forget and then templates get overridden etc. etc.).
And it takes two seconds to deliver on email.

The nice thing with Python is the complete standard library which
is installed right away, ie., for mailman the only addition is
dnspython.  That is what i thought at least, many years ago.  (I
only used Python for real once around 2011, with that in mind.
That was in the transition time of 2 to 3, and the library was
full of bugs, and/or in not yet converted state.)  But just last
week or so i read that they consider to trim that standard library
thing.  Well, i do not mind, the only good thing i still see in
Python is its syntax.  (The Nim language for example is for real
programmers instead, i'd say.)

I have seen Sympa, too, but never digged into it.  It needs a lot
of modules, and i am so lazy regarding administration.  It just
does not make fun.  And none of the systems i really use
currently ship with (an up-to-date) sympa, let alone direct
support of all the packages.

 |Pierre
 |--
 |When a barnacle settles down, its brain disintegrates.
 |Já não percebe nada, já não percebe nada.

How bad is that??

 --End of <6138981.HCoiYUZI26 at mooncat>

Roy Marples wrote in <aad07924-7494-aa06-56cd-99375d5faec7 at marples.name>:
 |On 02/08/2019 00:15, Pierre Abbat wrote:
 |> On Thursday, 1 August 2019 11.51.32 EDT Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |>> I say nonetheless, i do not have twitter nor facebook, nor will
 |>> ever have unless chip implant mandatory for not being expelled.
 |>> I see no problems with mail except patch review, but which does
 |>> neither hurt me, and then also can be worked around by placing the
 |>> patch inline.  Setting up mailman is terrible, though, and it
 |>> seems Python 2 series becomes obsoleted, so that there a painful
 |>> step to Python 3 and the "new" mailman had to be achieved.  Maybe
 |>> sr.ht (iirc) is a solution.
 |>
 |> After trying to set up Mailman and getting lost, I chose Sympa for the
 |> Bezitopo mailing list.
 |
 |That's the problem with dependencies.
 |I use mlmmj - it just needs a C compiler.

It really has only one (Mailman 2 at least).  Different to mlmmj
it never crashed here, it can MIME, subscribers can use the web
interface they are used to (that must be said, i think noone
actually subscribed via email!).

But you are actually using Fossil, and for quite some years even.
That is interesting.  I could not use it during development, due
to his "commits as they were as opposed to commits as they should
have been" paradigm, ie., my chaotic style would result in
thousands and thousands of commits, if i could not rebase / fixup
and squash what actually belongs together.  But for stable and
release branches etc. i would make sense, especially given the
surroundings like bug tracker, wiki, forum, whatever, all in one.
I mean, i really do not need that, it is quite silent here,
especially on the list, and that is how i like it.  I like the
"ring through and i come and do it" thing, "ruck-zuck" we say
here.  If possible only, of course.  Sigh.

May i ask how does mlmmj come into play with Fossil?

 |Roy
 --End of <aad07924-7494-aa06-56cd-99375d5faec7 at marples.name>

--steffen