DragonFly BSD manual install: cannot boot

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Sun Oct 28 19:35:58 PDT 2018

If its an older machine first be sure that it is a 64-bit capable CPU.  If
it isn't, DragonFlyBSD won't run on it anyway as DFly is now 64-bit only.

For classic booting... someone else might have a better solution for you
because I now our live images can dual-boot (non-EFI and EFI) but I don't
remember offhand how to set that up.  For a non-EFI boot I use the legacy
fdisk program instead of GPT to partition the drive (warning, this will
wipe everything!!!).   The EFI setup you did is definitely missing the
legacy boot sector.  Normally fdisk -B installs this, but it might mess up
the rest of the GPT setup so I don't know if that will work.  A Legacy
low-level format goes something like this:

fdisk -IB /dev/da0
disklabel -r -w -B /dev/da0s1 auto

and then go from there.  Note that the UFS 'a' partition should be the
first partition on the drive, that is the partition with the lowest LBA,
and I would limit it to 1GB in size.  Older systems have trouble addressing
high LBAs.