Desktop problems

Dr. Martin Ivanov martin.ivanov at greenpocket.de
Sun Nov 11 06:31:22 PST 2018

Hello, I am running DragonFly BSD 5.2.2 on my 10-year-old laptop TOSHIBA TECRA S11-11H.
 Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 2100M mit CUDA™ Technology,
Monitor resolution:  1600 x 900 , 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless Technology Version : Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200.
After installation the VESA driver was started, which could not provide the native 1600 x 900 display resolution I need.
Installing xf86-video-nv-2.1.21_1 solved this problem.

I tried most of the available desktop environments for dragonfly: windowmaker, lumina, mate, lxde, xfce, kde. All desktops
except for windowmaker and lumina are practically unusable, because the logout time is about 4 minutes. This is the time between
clicking on logout and the actual logout. Furhtermore, on kde the opening of the start menu itself takes about 2 minutes.
The biggest problems occurred with the mate desktop, where the logout time is more than 15 minutes, I never waited to see
if it is even finite. The mate-terminal fails to start. Trying to start most applications from the command line in mate
fails (e.g. vim, gvim, kate, kwrite, thunderbird). The only text editor that opens there is mousepad.
Kate and kwrite print the following message:
"QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave."
and never start. Vim and gvim never start, the console window hangs and I can do nothing but close it.
I am typing this from lumina, which works pretty OK, all the applications so far start and seem to behave well.

When I start lxde, I get a window the following message:

"GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Error.General:
Unable to lookup session information for process '2838'"
After that lxde works pretty OK, but the logout time is about 4 minutes.

cinnamon starts OK only in software rendering mode and complains of many features and extensions missing.
In the normal mode I only get a black screen and have to kill Xorg. The logout time is extremely long, never waited.

I refrained from starting the hal daemon, because it results in flooding my terminals
with messages about my cdrom  (being printed every second) that contain something like:
ahci0.1: TFS ccb slot rfis flg st err dev off

I have installed OpenBSD on another slice of the same hard drive and I have none of the above problems there.
It is therefore definitely a software issue, probably I am missing some settings? I doubt that this all is due to the
nvidia graphics card ...

Thank you very much for your attention. Any suggestions will be appreciated.