DragonFly on VirtualBox

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Fri Mar 2 17:54:08 PST 2018

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 14:32:47 -0500
Pierre Abbat <phma at leaf.dragonflybsd.org> wrote:

> fdisk -B results in "Missing operating system".
>
> The disk is laid out like this, according to file:
> ad0: boot sector, pt 1 type ee
> ad0s0: boot sector, 32-bit FAT, label "EFI        "
> ad0s1: boot sector
> ad0s1a: FFS /boot
> ad0s1b: swap
> ad0s1d: HAMMER /

Hi Pierre,

You're using EFI with VirtualBox to boot the DFly guest, which I haven't
tried.

For EFI boot, you need to make sure that file "/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi" file
exists on your EFI partition (i.e., ad0s0), which is the default boot code.
If that file doesn't exist, you can copy "/boot/boot1.efi" over.

You can also refer to the example installation script:
/usr/share/examples/rconfig/hammer_uefi.sh

But I'm not sure whether VirtualBox's EFI implementation works with DFly's
EFI boot loader...

Cheers,
--
Aaron