LD R710 Notebook an annoying Problems..

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 02:23:06 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 11:04 AM Michael Neumann wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:36:21AM +0200, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> >
> > Hmm.. sorry for asking but I'm not sure if this is the right Operatings
> > system for me when no wone even wants to talk with me about those
> > problems.
> >
> > Do you really don't care to users problems with Dragonfly BSD?
> >
> > I need a stable platform to get my work done, currently Dragonfly
> > seems to have at least 3 or 4 problems on this machine. One is ACPI
> > hange on every other or next boot, one are those periodic kernel
> > messages about the cdrom and one is that motnths before reported problem
> > with the MSP430-UIF tool from TI and I wanted to fix that.

Hello

To keep track of the issues, it helps if you also post them on
bugs.dragonflybsd.org, and with verbose /var/run/dmesg.boot (hit 'v'
when you boot to get verbose dmesg).

Regarding slow startup of Xorg, it may be that it's not due to Xorg
but the radeonkms driver, which will be loaded before starting Xorg. I
have a radeon card too and I load the radeonkms driver before starting
Xorg. On my machine, the radeonkms driver blanks the screen for 10
seconds which may add to the perception of the Xorg slow startup. So
to test, can you do

% sudo kldload radeonkms

before starting Xorg and see if Xorg starts faster. If this is the
case, then you can put

radeonkms_load="YES"

into /etc/rc.conf and it'll be loaded at boot.

Also: you say you have two graphics devices, an intel and radeon.
Which one are you actually using? See /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
information. If Xorg gets confused at startup, it may help when you
set up an explicit xorg.conf in /etc/X11/ where you explicitly load
the Xorg intel or the radeon driver.

Giving 'kldstat' lists kernel modules so you see which specific drm
drivers have been loaded (i915 for intel, radeonkms for radeon).

Cheers

Peeter