New user - few questions regarding update/upgrade process

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Wed Jun 20 23:58:04 PDT 2018

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 09:15:52 +0300
Özgür Kazancci <ozgurkazancci at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings to DragonFlyBSD team!

Hi :-)

> cd /usr
> make src-create-shallow
>
> cd /usr/src
> git checkout DragonFly_RELEASE_5_2

This "git checkout" is not needed as the above "make src-create[-shallow]"
will auto checkout the corresponding DragonFly_RELEASE_X_Y when you're
running a DFly release (i.e., not master/snapshot).

> cd /usr/src
> make -j 3 buildworld
> make -j 3 buildkernel
> make installkernel
> make installworld
> make upgrade
> pkg upgrade
> pkg update
> reboot

We suggest a "reboot" after "make upgrade", and then "pkg update && pkg
upgrade".

> Are all these steps enough to follow the -stable branch? How can I continue
> updating the source code (located in /usr/src) in case of any change in
> -stable branch from your side? Should I issue all the same commands above,
> next time?

During one stable release (e.g., 5.2.x), you can update the source by:

cd /usr/src && git pull

But, when we release a new branch (e.g., 5.4) in the furture, it will be a
bit more complex and you can follow our release note then.  Here is the 5.2.0
release about the update (https://www.dragonflybsd.org/release52/):

cd /usr/src
git fetch origin
git branch DragonFly_RELEASE_5_2 origin/DragonFly_RELEASE_5_2
git checkout DragonFly_RELEASE_5_2
git pull

> How often do you update -stable branch? For instance, OpenBSD has a page:
> openbsd.org/errata.html - where we get a list of latest patches/updates for
> the stable branch, as well as I check its CVS -stable branch from time to
> time for any change. Do you have such kind of page?

The release/stable branch generally doesn't get much updates after branching,
so you can read the messages here and check the bug-fix releases on the major
release page, e.g., https://www.dragonflybsd.org/release52/ for 5.2.

Cheers,
--
Aaron