Ravenports, what's missing for you?

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Mon Jul 30 00:54:38 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 04:24:06PM -0500, John Marino wrote:
> So there was a new article released about Ravenports this week:
> https://eerielinux.wordpress.com/2018/06/30/ravenports-a-modern-cross-platform-package-solution/
>
> Justin mentioned it on the digest:
> "A deep dive into Ravenports"
> https://www.dragonflydigest.com/2018/07/04/21485.html
>
> and a related dports topic:
> "Some package statistics"
> https://www.dragonflydigest.com/2018/07/05/21487.html
>

> So this of course drudged up logical questions about plans for
> Ravenports to replace Dports, if, when, etc.
>
> While Ravenports can coexist with Dports, ideally a server can get all
> it's packaging needs from one system.  Some people are already using
> Ravenports exclusively.  I'm curious to know which packages serious DF
> users think is missing -- dealbreakers for moving to ravenports exclusively.

The main show-stopper for me is that the version of xorg-server in
Raveport's is too recent and somehow doesn't function with our radeon
drivers.

Rust is another issue, but I think it's already in a bad state in
Dports. I started working on a Rust port for Ravenports, but in the end
gave up, because the compilers used by Ravenports and the DragonFly base
system were different and led to a couple of issues I couldnt fix easily.

On the server side, I would miss dovecot, rspamd, opensmtpd or postfix.

IMHO, Ravenports should get more attention from the DragonFly users, so
that the missing pieces are added more quickly.

Regards,

  Michael